Sunday, May 19, 2013
Read this first.
This was on the Sunday Morning show today. I was glad to hear someone talking about this. I feel that dressing down is a big issue in our culture, especially when you have professionals going to work in pajamas ( I have witnessed this.) and students doing the same at school. This trend is starting with the younger generations and, at the risk of sounding like an old biddy, I fear it will become a social norm for everyone by the time I'm an old and wrinkled woman. I teach high school and I've had students come to school in their pj's. I don't know about you, but when I was in high school, you had to call home for a change of clothes or go home if you wore pajamas to school. The one time I wore pajamas to class (in college), I felt so uncomfortable that I had to go back to my dorm room and change clothes between my classes.
I'm not saying that I'm the best when it comes to fashion, but I do try to do my best when it comes to dressing well. I will be the first to admit that I have days that I wear sweats and a t-shirt, but I don't wear them to work. Dressing well shows that you care about yourself and that you may even want to reach your full potential, whether in the workplace or in your personal life.
Today, it seems as if people don't respect themselves enough to present themselves well. I understand that we all have days where we feel like being slouchy, but this shouldn't be the norm. I'm not saying we need to wear elaborate gowns and suits everyday, but, as a nation, we need to do better about the way we dress. We would do well to take some pointers from the Europeans. In general, they take dressing well very seriously.
This is my last point before I end my rant. People tend not to take you seriously when you don't present yourself well. They judge you before they get to know you. Yes, we've all been told that it doesn't matter what you wear; it's what's on the inside that counts. While this is true to a certain extent, it's also a bit false. It is what's on the inside that counts; however, it does matter what you wear. You wouldn't wear shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops to an interview at a big corporation. Your interviewer would take one look at you and think that you don't take things seriously and wouldn't hire you. Just as there are times and places to act certain ways and say certain things, there are times and places to wear certain clothes. Don't let your clothes be a hindrance and hold you back from your full potential!
Monday, April 23, 2012
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Friday, May 27, 2011
Every time I watch a sappy love story or read a sappy book, I think: "I seriously need to stop watching movies and reading books in which people fall in love." They make me wish I were in love and I sometimes feel as if this will never happen for me. However, I stop and remember that I don't have to feel this way because I have a father who will give me everything that I need.
I am comforted by the fact that God has a reason for making me wait. He has the perfect man for me and He is going to put that man in my life when I am ready. (Who knows? Maybe I have met this person and I don't realize it yet.) He has a plan for me and He gives me the strength to be patient and wait. I love that I have a father who would love me so much that he would do this for me. Not only does He have someone for me but He has a plan for my whole life and I know that they are plans to prosper me and not to harm me, and to give me hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11). Isn't He amazing?! He has a plan for you as well. So those of you who have felt what I have felt about love (or even life), don't be discouraged. Trust God because He has a plan for you and He will take care of you and provide for you no matter what you need. When you think about it, His love is the best and most important of our lives!! :D
2. Dr. Pepper is my favorite soft drink.
3. Procrastination is an art form that I have mastered.
4. I am a recent college graduate.
5. I’m 22 years old.
6. I absolutely love to watch movies.
7. I’ve never had a boyfriend.
8. Blue and turquoise are my favorite colors.
9. I used to have an amazing truck and I really miss it.
10. I have an awesome brother, even though he gets on my nerves all the time.
11. December is my favorite month because I love winter and the Christmas season.
12. I sing in my church choir, even though I’m not very good. It’s fun!
13. I’m a firm believer in the fact that chocolate fixes everything. :)
14. I love bowling even though I don’t get to go very often.
15. I love to take pictures all the time.
16. I buy picture frames before I even have pictures to go in them.
17. Guitar Hero is awesome!!
18. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and am currently looking for a high school teaching position.
19. I went on a road trip to Washington, D.C. and New York with my friends, Madonna and Anthony. I can’t wait to go back again.
20. While in NY, I got to see Lea Michelle and have my picture taken with Jonathan Groff. (You Gleeks know who they are.)
21. I hope to teach high school English near my hometown.
22. I hope to one day go on a mission trip.
23. I love to dance, even though I'm bad at it.
24. I want to travel all over the world someday. I hope to be able to go to Italy, Greece, Ireland, and France.
25. God sending his son to die for my sins is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and I don’t deserve such a great love.